Grace Covenant Church

Grace Covenant Church
2101 East 50th Street, Texarkana, AR

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Out to Pasture

I kept warm at last week's Toga Trot
Just a few personal updates:

Several years back, Jeff Bruce gave me a book titled Pastoral Library by Eugene Peterson.  It was actually four books bound together in one volume.  I read quite a bit from that collection and have always had the feeling that I needed to read from it even more.  

4 books in 1
 About a year ago, George Grant recommended Peterson's book titled Eat This Book.  It is about reading the Bible thoughtfully.  Maybe it is a book we should consider reading in a book study.  Just recently, I picked up Peterson's newest work, which is titled The Pastor: A Memoir. I cannot wait to dig into what looks like a wonderful account of Peterson's trials and triumphs in the ministry.

Peterson is a fascinating writer.  He has the literary skill of C.S. Lewis.  At times, one has to read him with a bit of caution.  His views, parts of his theology, and some of his theological guides are a bit shaky.  For example, he is far more at home with Karl Barth than a Presbyterian ought to be. Still, with the caution lights flashing, he is wonderful to read.  (I don't have his popular paraphrase of the Bible, The Message, but I do hope to find one cheap somewhere to have for reference.)

A pastor's war stories

Since I jumped back into the deep end of the pool in June, I have felt compelled to read books pertaining to ministry.  So, during the early summer, I read Gene Getz's Elders and Leaders:  God's Plan for Leading the Church.  Getz has been a leader in the Fellowship Bible movement, but his books on church life and ministry are read by people of all Christian stripes.
A rich and challenging study

 Then, I re-read John R.W. Stott's Between Two Worlds: The Art of Preaching in the Twentieth Century.  Rev. Stott died last summer after a long life and fruitful ministry of preaching and writing.  I first read this book in 1994.  When I was re-reading it, I realized that I should have been reading it every year or two since I became an elder.  (I would have been a good man if I had been reading Stott every minute of my life, to paraphrase Flannery O'Connor.)  And I hope to pick up and read quite a few more Stott books over the next several years.

Even more relevant for the 21st Century

More recently, I read The Elder and His Work by David Dickson, edited by George K. McFarland and Philip Graham Ryken.  Dickson was a Scottish Presbyterian and his book is a classic on the task of an elder.  Dr. Grant had also recommended that book to me.  I would encourage all men who might even remotely consider the office of elder to read it, and others to read it to help evaluate those of us in the office.  And maybe, we need a book study on this book also.

Practical and direct as one would expect from a Scotsman

I wish I could show you before and after pictures from this workout through these 3 books with anticipation of more results from reading Peterson's memoir.  I know I have been helped, but the road to sanctification is uphill. A Sunday sermon can no more feed you for the week than a Sunday meal can.  We all need to be reading from our Bibles and from good Christian books.  And those readings need to be accompanied with prayers, thoughts, and expectations of change in our lives.

In other news, I have four boxes in my office filled with copies of Punic Wars and Culture Wars ready to ship out.  In one case, a copy is going to one of my heroes of the faith in Australia, Dr. Francis Nigel Lee.  Dr. Lee has been a great Christian writer, thinker, and scholar in Reformed circles for decades.  He has asked for a copy, "duly inscribed," to use his words.  A couple of copies are going to a friend in Belfast, Northern Ireland.  His name is Paul David Robinson and he is both a plasterer (sheet rock man) and a Christian philosopher.  (http://paul-david-robinson.com/biography)  I sure wish I could get him over here to visit us, do some plastering work on my house, and teach the students at Veritas about Herman Dooyeweerd.  (We would also enjoy his accent.)

Please pray for the on-going distribution of Punic Wars.  I have sold or given away about 5 boxes of the book this year.  I need to distribute 25 more boxes of it (hopefully profiting the giver and the receivers).  And I need to get some current writing projects finished.

Finally, please notice the announcement about a play to be performed soon:  A Christmas Corral.    (http://veritashumanities.blogspot.com/)   I stole....I mean, I based based the play on Charles Dickens' Christmas Carol.   Our Veritas Humanities class will be performing the play in December.  It is set in the American West of the late 1800s.  (We would appreciate any western wear ot western items we could borrow for use in the play.)

God's blessings. 

2 comments:

  1. Well, I am waaay behind on responding to this post, but I thought I must. I read Eugene Petersons book Eat this book several years ago with some profit. I was preparing for a corporate sunday school class I was teaching at Parish Presbyterian Church on the dual disciplines of the word & prayer. I had heard that there were some things to perhaps be wary of in Peterson however in that book I did not find much I thought hinky or worth quibbling over and most of it was helpful, insightful and a godly provocation. Eugene Peterson in a different book took Nietzsche's phrase..."a long obedience in the same direction" and applied it to repentance or discipleship. Although most of us struggle with our repentance and godly living in fits & starts, I love the idea as a goal that we set our faces like flint toward the way of righteousness & faith and don't' flinch. That we pursue the life of faith as a long obedience in the same direction. A life which is marked by faith and obedience rather than faith and obedience as the occasional interloper.

    Christmastime,

    Franklin, TN

    Jason Parolini

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations Jason. You are the first person to comment on the GCC blog. Your comments were encouraging. Pray for us and our church. We continually give thanks for all of you in Franklin, Tennessee.

    ReplyDelete